I had dinner last night with some girlfriends from church. Women I love and adore so, so much since meeting them all over the past 3 years. We laughed and talked and teared up a few times, and it was a fantastic couple of hours. Nice to know that a bunch of "old Christian ladies" can still close down the Japanese restaurant in town!
Anyway, I got up this morning to an email from another Church Lady. I knew it was going to be something about Obama (we've been exchanging emails from opposing sides for the entire campaign, it seems), which it was - but it was a nice blog entry by a guy I'd never heard of (but who is now on my blogger list). So I'm scrolling through to see what else he's posted, and this catches my eye:
Ezekiel 36:26,27
I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh. And I will put my Spirit in you and move you to follow my decrees...
Last night, in between dreaming of finding a new job for Dana the Social Services worker (who secretly harbors a desire to work in a toll booth, of all places), discussing our random Kid Woes, and scarfing down veggie yakisoba - we had a few minutes of discussion about prayer. More importantly, our personal role in our prayers according to God Himself: abiding by his teachings (following the commandments), having the Word within us (studying our Bibles), right motivations, etc.. I could listen to Pat S. talk about prayer all day long and never get bored. She lost her 17 year old son a year ago in a car crash, and has the most awesome attitude and faith of anyone I know. So when she starts talking about Jesus, I perk up. I want what she has inside.
I realized when I read that verse this morning:
Ezekiel 36:26,27
I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh. And I will put my Spirit in you and move you to follow my decrees...
This is what Pat has inside. What I want inside. I do 'pretty good' most days, I don't commit any really "bad" sins, right? Ok, we gossip a little at work. And I might let a 4-letter word slip when I'm really mad, but not often (this alone should get me some major brownie points upstairs!). I try to be a nice person, I really do! (is it my fault some people are just morons??) But yeah, (see last comment) - I still need a "new spirit". I still have a "heart of stone" that needs to be removed. I still have some ways to go... I know that "trying to be good" isn't enough.
So I'm posting that verse on my mirror for awhile... as a reminder that it's not *me* who can change any of that, but it's God's promise to me. But only if *I* accept it and do my part.

No comments:
Post a Comment