Saturday, July 19, 2008

Spending Fast


No, I'm not going to spend even faster... I'm going on a Spending Fast.

Already, this is proving more difficult than I'd imagined. I am on a couponing message board (afullcup.com) and it is sooooo hard not to bid on the fun auctions we have there! There are stockpile sales, auctions, great deals posted on a by-minute-basis it seems. I'll admit, I'm an addict for a great deal. But even great deals become not-so when you don't really need the items you're buying.

We already have enough food, toiletries, paper products, you name it - to last a month or more (probably enough shampoo to last several!). We don't NEED anything. That is a huge blessing.

So... I am putting myself on a Spending Fast. Not just for these types of items, but ANYTHING that causes me to part with my cash for something I don't really and TRULY need. No grabbing take-out because I'm in a hurry, no biscuits for breakfast (this'll help my waistline too), no coffee to go, no books unless they are free (paperbackswap or library), no movies (dangit, I have a Fandango code to use... $5 for 2 admissions! grrrrr, it'll hafta wait), no picking up something at the grocery because "I'm in the mood for it." NOTHING.

Wish me luck! It's already hard, and I haven't even "officially" started yet! Coupon buddy and I set a date of 7/28 (Triple Coupons @ Harris Teeter next weekend - can't miss that!) but I'm trying to get in the mindset already.

4 comments:

Joan said...

Last summer on my Southern Suburbia blog I did weekly mini challenges. One of the most difficult was no eating not even picking up a coffee. The kids loved that one since they were out of school. I'm actually planning on posting about buying groceries on Well At Least I Try.
Good luck! Keep us updated.

Anonymous said...

I am so proud of you my "shopping fast buddy"! Maybe by blogging about the fast you'll feel better about those auctions. I'm watching you!btdedzv

Trish said...

You'll be amazed how much money you save. I inadvertantly did a spending fast this past February. Winters in Ohio are cold and depressing, so much so that I don't like to leave my house, especially in February. I only went out when I had to and scurried back home. No drive thrus, no Target runs, nothing -- and for some reason nothing appealed to me online either. I looked at my bank account at the end of the month and couldn't believe how much was still there. Good Luck -- can't wait to hear how you do.

Anonymous said...

I need to go on this type of 'fast' as well... I've been spending 'faster' than I can get 'em lately... Thanks for the idea :)